Friday, July 19, 2013

CRIME AND INJUSTICE

How long, Lord, must I call for help and You do not listen, or cry out to You about violence and You do not save? Why do You force me to look at injustice? Why do You tolerate wrongdoing? Oppression and violence are right in front of me. Strife is ongoing, and conflict escalates. This is why the law is ineffective and justice never emerges. For the wicked restrict the righteous; therefore, justice comes out perverted. Habakkuk 1:2-4 (HCSB)

I find it amazing that the same complaints Habakkuk expressed in 620 BC can be truthfully expressed in the United States today. **  For us to find an acceptable resolution to these complaints, we have to acknowledge that the problem begins with each individual person.  

The Old Testament book of Habakkuk (wedged in between Nahum and Zephaniah), like Jonah, is a story about God molding the character of an individual.  The text begins with ranting, raving, and complaining, then concludes with a statement of renewed faith in a sovereign God.

We read Habakkuk’s complaint (verses above) and then, beginning in verse five, God replies basically saying, “Habakkuk, I’m about to do something that you wouldn’t even if I personally tell you what I’m going to do.  I’m gonna send the Chaldeans to discipline Israel.” (Hab.1:5-11 paraphrased)

By the end of the text, Habakkuk with renewed confidence declares, “I will quietly wait for the day of trouble to come upon people who invade us. . . . I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior.” Habakkuk 3:16,18 (NIV)

OK, so what does that mean to us?  Habakkuk was frustrated as he looked at the world around him, specifically Israel, and saw that things are not as they are supposed to be.  We are indeed in the same situation today!  Things are not as they are supposed to be. 

We proclaim our freedom but we really want entitlement! We protest for justice, but we really just want to have our own way! 

Our problems are not the crime and injustice so common in our society.  It is not the incompetence that exists in our elected officials. Our problems are not the slanted and one-sided reporting epidemic in the media.  Our problems begin with us, each of us. 
 Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:4 (NASB)
What I’m saying is that change, real change, “THE CHANGE WE NEED” must begin with you and me.  Real change must occur in the heart and mind of each individual citizen. That kind of change can only occur by God’s power. When I decide to submit to God’s plan for life and  God’s rules for living, I will then experience the heart change needed to affect change. 

Submission begins with humility.  Admitting that I don’t have the answer or the power to implement the answer even if I had it.  When we reach that place, we naturally turn to God.  But just turning to God doesn’t provide change, we need tune-in to HIM as well.



This is what happened to Habakkuk, his heart was changed. He went from a moaning, grieving, sniveling, complaining man, to a man of gratitude, living in confidence and faith.  Habakkuk tuned-in to God and discovered real peace. 







It’s not too late.   Let us begin right now to tune into God and then “watch to see what He [God] will say to me.”  Habakkuk 2:1 (HCSB)

**Personal note: originally I listed several specific examples of “wrongdoing, oppression, and violence” not to mention other examples of strife and escalating conflict.  But I decided that my examples were inflammatory and that is not the goal of this article or of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment