Thursday, June 7, 2012

LEGACY

leg·a·cy – something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past.

At some point in life each person has or will reflect on his or her impact in this world.  Perhaps the first time is at high school graduation.  We see the end of high school, a time best described as the best of time and the worst of time, approaching and begin to reflect on those years perhaps wondering what difference did it make. 

In the movie “It’s A Wonderful Life”, the main character George Bailey gets a view of what the world had been like if he had never been born. George is given an opportunity to see the positive impact his young life has had on the people of an entire town.  There is one scene where George has discovered his brother Harry's tombstone:
Clarence: [explaining] Your brother, Harry Bailey, broke through the ice and was drowned at the age of nine.
George Bailey: That's a lie! Harry Bailey went to war! He got the Congressional Medal of Honor! He saved the lives of every man on that transport!
Clarence: Every man on that transport died. Harry wasn't there to save them, because you weren't there to save Harry.
George's life even impacted people that he didn't know and had never met.

What a great gift it would be for each of us to see the positive impact our life has had so far.  At the same time, it might be a bit of a curse.  After all there are those of us who’s impact would have to be an established series.  Unfortunately, there are others of us whose impact would barley fill a commercial.  

I have an aunt who will celebrate her 89th birthday this Saturday, unfortunately I can’t be there.  She has and is continuing to build her legacy.  When my father was ten, his father died.  Circumstances required my father to live with several relatives.  Soon after my Aunt Gladys married my father went to live with her. Later after my brother, sister and I were born, my parents would not only take us to visit Aunt Gladys, but we were allowed to visit for a week or two every summer. 

There are so many wonderful stories that testify to the faith in God that anchored the lives of my aunt and uncle that they cannot all be told in one sitting.  My personal favorite is every night Aunt Gladys would gather all of us together and we would read from the Bible. After finishing the chapter or story she would then help us to understand the thing(s) God was teaching us through this piece of Scripture.

I am convinced that a big part of my being a Christian, even becoming a pastor, comes from the Godly influence Aunt Gladys has had and is presently having on my life!  Through me she is impacting people she doesn't know and will most probably never meet on this side of Heaven.

Here’s the short of all of this.  Aunt Gladys passed on her faith to her children, who then passed it on to their spouses and their children.  Those children (Aunt Gladys’ great grand children in case you are having trouble keeping up) are passing that same faith on to their spouses and to their children also.  But that’s not all!  Aunt Gladys passed her faith on to my father, my siblings and myself.  We in turn are passing that same faith and influence on to our children.  There is still more!  There were ten children in the Foxworth clan. That makes for a lot of cousins.  To my knowledge every one of those cousins spent time with Aunt Gladys and her faith in God was passed on to each of them too!  What a legacy!

So, take time to day to reflect on your legacy?
Ask: “Am I living a life that points people to Jesus or away from Him?”
“What will be my legacy?”
Hopefully my legacy will be more than a statue in a park, a name on the side of a building, or the dash between two dates on a grave marker. 

In the words of Clarence from “It’s A Wonderful Life”, “Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?”


No comments:

Post a Comment