Friday, August 9, 2013

IMPROVING MY BIBLE IQ (part 1)

On this site, I’ve posted a couple of articles about the lack of biblical literacy among Christians   (See last week’s post as well as my post about “Bible Knowledge At All Time Low" ). Well a person is either part of the problem or part of the solution.  I choose to be the latter.

My goal is not to create a theological debate.  It is to encourage believers to become committed to reading and studying the Bible.  The New Testament writers, as well as Jesus himself, spent some time warning us about false prophets and teachers. I am convinced that those who succumb to false teaching are lacking in Bible knowledge resulting in biblical illiteracy.

There are many ways Believers can fight personal biblical illiteracy. In this post and the next, I intend to recommend a course of action for improving one’s Bible IQ.  All of these recommendations have been successful with either myself or with others.  A good place to begin is with my story.

Even though I had been raised in the church and was frequently a candidate for “perfect attendance” in Sunday School, at 28 years of age I found myself suffering from a lack of Bible knowledge.  I was not serving in any church at the time (in fact I was going through a time of rebellion against God). 

After renewing my focus on Him, God began to convict me about my need for Bible study.  The first thing I learned is: “I don’t know as much as I think about The Bible or God.” 

I began slowly and simply to study The Scriptures.  I began with a “Men’s Devotional Bible.” I tried to begin every day reading the daily devotional and all of the supporting scriptures.  I didn't realize it at the time, but I was growing in spirit and in Bible knowledge.

During Army basic training and MP school, I carried my Gideon’s Bible and a copy of “Open Windows” (now called “Daily Bread”) everywhere I went.  I kept those books wrapped together in a plastic freezer bag and stuffed into my BDU cargo pocket. Whenever I had a break (usually after lunch), I’d move over somewhere alone and read the devotion and it’s scripture.  To this day I have a page from that devotion book stuck in my study Bible.  Later I learned of the positive effect this had on my fellow soldiers and even on one Drill Sergeant.

Each year since my revival, I have chosen a different yearly devotional book to guide my study. Some of my favorites have been used multiple times. Over the years I have used Oswald Chambers’ My Utmost For His Highest, C. H. Spurgeon’s Morning By Morning, several different devotionals by A.W. Tozer, Dallas Willard, and others. Most of these are available now on a smart phone, but I’m kinda “old school” in this area preferring paper and ink over bits and bytes.    

The important thing is to choose a study plan and stick with it.  The number of good plans far outweigh those that are not so good.  I am convinced that God is most honored by our perseverance and our obedience to read and study HIS Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment