Tuesday, November 27, 2012

PSALM 55 AT 55


John Denver wrote, “I've been lately thinking about my life's time. All the things I've done and how it's been.” (Poems, Prayers, & Promises, 1971) The funny thing about these lyrics is that he wrote them at the age of 27.  I’m sure at 27 John thought he had lived a long life.  Another singer from the 70's declared, “Once was the thought inside my head, by the time I reached 30 I’d be dead.”


God, listen to my prayer and do not ignore my plea for help. Pay attention to me and answer me. I am restless and in turmoil with my complaint, because of the enemy’s voice, because of the pressure of the wicked. For they bring down disaster on me and harass me in anger. My heart shudders within me; terrors of death sweep over me. Fear and trembling grip me; horror has overwhelmed me. I said, “If only I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and find rest. How far away I would flee; I would stay in the wilderness. Psalm 55:1-6

Psalm 55 opens with a call to God for help.  The writer begins by begging Elohim (Hebrew for God Almighty) just to listen to his plea.  I can not help but sense the helplessness and the feeling of abandonment obviously felt by the psalmist.  These depth of the author’s despair is evident as he expresses his wish to just “fly away”, in an effort to escape from the massive trouble which engulfs him.

In the movie Forest Gump, young Jenny's father is chasing her through the fields to beat her. Jenny and Forest are holding hands and kneeling together while hiding in the field. Jenny begins to pray, “Dear God, make me a bird. So I could fly far. Far, far away from here.”

When we have troubles in our lives, often the easiest thing to do is to run away. This is especially true when the trouble(s) in our life is overwhelming.  We may see the only choice available is to “fly away” to abandon the Titanic.  However, there are times when the best solution is to stand our ground and defend the Alamo.  It is hard to discern which is the appropriate action.

But I call to God, and the Lord will save me. Psalm 55:16

A major problem we have is we try to handle life on our own power.  A problem arises in our life and we address it with all our might.  After we have tried everything we know to try, the problem not only still exists, but now looms larger.  We then, as a last resort, turn to prayer hoping God will bail us out.

When we bring problems to God, He will communicate to us when to fight, when to flee, and when to wait.  The question before each of us is, “If I believe that there is a God and if I believe He answers prayer, then why don’t I pray first and react second?”

I complain and groan morning, noon, and night, and He hears my voice.  Though many are against me, He will redeem me from my battle unharmed. God, the One enthroned from long ago, will hear, and will humiliate them.  Psalm 55:17-19

We need to take note that at the beginning of his lament, the psalmist begs for God to listen to his prayer.  However, after listing his complaints, the writer shares his assurance that not only does the Lord hear, but He will also rescue him.  The phrase, “Though many are against me” implies there is no trouble too tough, no problem too powerful, in short, nothing too big, for God!

Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken. Psalm 55:22

There were many times in my own life, when I've faced physical harm, even death, in those times, God chose to protect me.  Additionally, there were other times when I've felt rejected, dejected, abandoned, and afraid, yet as I remember those times, I can now see how God was there with me.

This week I will complete 55 years of living and walking on God’s good Earth.  Like John, I too have spent some time thinking on my life. Looking at my past I have some regret, some pride, but mostly lots of gratitude.  Like Mr. Denver, I can say  “It’s been a good life all in all.”

My life has been one of trials, turmoil, and troubles, as well as blessings, pleasure, promises, and praise.  Those experiences allow me to echo, “cast your burden on the Lord, and He will support you.”

But You, O God, will bring them down to the pit of destruction; Men of bloodshed and deceit will not live out half their days. But I will trust in You. Psalm 55:23

Like Forest Gump, “ I may not be a smart man” at lest I don’t claim to be smart.  However, after a life of undeserved blessings, undeserved forgiveness, and undeserved protection, I too declare to God, “I will trust in You.”

1 comment:

  1. Well said.

    It reminds me of a line in a movie (I wish I remembered which movie)"Sometimes we are forced onto journies we should have discovered oursleves."

    Jonah knew where his journey's end was supposed to be, but he was forced to finally go in that direction.

    After touring Israel, I can't imagine how it was to have lived in Biblical days, and yet sit in the desert or a cave at Engedi and write a psalm of praise or prayer to God.

    Dear Lord, show me your path or force me in that direction. Either way, that is where I want to be. Amen

    ReplyDelete