Monday, December 5, 2011

A WORD ABOUT DISCIPLESHIP...

    Life is about change, everything changes. There are two ways things change, they either grow or they diminish, some things change quickly, while some others extremely slow. Some changes are for the better (even if they don’t appear that way at first), while other changes are for the worse.

    The change that God values and supports, begins inwardly and then manifests itself in improved “spiritual” behavior and life style.  Since Jesus is the author of faith (He 12:1-2) it requires focusing on his life, imitating his behavior, and evaluating our own motives.  Religion, on the other hand, demands that we change our behavior in hopes that it will spur, instill, or implement inward transformation, which almost never happens.

    The following is excerpted from Renovation of the Heart by Dallas Willard:

VIM is derivative of the Latin term “vis” meaning direction, strength, force, vigor, power, energy, or virtue:  . . . If we are to be spiritually formed in Christ, we must have and must implement the appropriate V-vision, I-intension, and M-means. 

        And Here in a nutshell is the explanation of the widespread failure ot attain Christian maturity among both leaders and followers . . .  That is why today you find many professing Christians circling back to non-Christian sources to resolve the problems of their inner life.

        Instead of inward transformation, some outward form of religion–often today even called “a spirituality”– is taken or imposed as the goal of practical endeavor.  What is then important is to be a “good _____” (you can fill in the blank). . . . The individual even enforces it upon himself or herself as what is “obviously” right. But, whatever the details, authentic inward transformation into Christlikeness is omitted.  It is not envisioned, intended, or achieved. (pp 85-86)
  

1 comment:

  1. Allow me to be the first to comment on your new blog, and to congratulate you on starting one. Your explanation on the differences between religion and spirituality actually made my day. I have long been on a journey on the meaning of spirituality and trying to find out who is right and who is wrong. I have come to the same conclusion here that you made. I also believe that we can have no success, or true happiness, with a "religion". A religion is someones doctrine telling you how to order your belief structure. Said religion might put Christ as the figure head, yet have distorted doctrine for the basis of their "faith". I believe that Christ, the Son of God, the spark of divinity, and the "Sun" that burns away the night resides within all of us inherently from birth. He awaits us, deep within our psyche, waiting for us to take on our inward journey of self reflection to find him and accept his values and teachings. In an ever changing world of total and complete confusion, we find ourselves constantly looking for external stimulus to give us that feeling, that drive, and that sense of security that comes with redemption. I have searched for material things to bring me happiness. To this day I have never found one thing that gave me peace. The one thing that did give me peace and show me the truth of the world was Jesus. I asked him openly one evening to show me the truth of the world and what it means. I was not prepared for what he showed me. He showed me a world deeply poisoned by corrupt men. He showed me a whole world of people, so confused by the great deceiver's plan that they were wrought with strife, turned away from our true purpose as Humans. From this revelation I finally realized, this world is a proving ground, it is not the "real" world. It is a world completely and utterly enthralled by evil men and their master. In this world you are given times to make the tough choice. Serve Christ, make the tough choice to turn away from the evil system, or fall in line like the rest. The moral of my story is this: If you truly want to find Christ and make a change in yourself, make an inward journey and reap the reward of finding your purpose. Christ lives within all of us, it is up to us to journey inwards and find him.

    ReplyDelete